Contraindications for dental implantation
Contraindications for dental implantation
|Every medical intervention usually has its indications and contraindications. Based only on this fact the presence of three possible options for different patients can be: There are indications and no contraindications (ideal); there is indication and contraindications (treatment is possible); no evidence and no contraindications (it’s better not to hold treatment); and there are no indications contraindications (treatment cannot be carried).
But things are not so simple! Turns of the indications and contraindications, there are many halftones. Try to deal with contraindications to dental implants.
Contraindications can be local and general, temporary and permanent, absolute and relative.
The most important classification concerns the absolute-relative contraindications. So absolute contraindications for dental implantation include:
- Diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs. For example, a bleeding disorder makes any operation impossible due to the development of serious bleeding;
- Diseases of the central nervous system (both congenital and acquired). The most striking example is a mental illness on which the patient cannot adequately perceive the information about the rules of conduct during and after treatment
- Malignant tumors of various organs and systems (cancer, sarcoma). Surgical intervention can affect tumor growth and metastasis;
- Immunopathological states (surgery necessarily requires some time active and quite hard work of the immune system to normal tissue healing after surgery);
- Systemic connective tissue diseases. Implantation is very demanding on the growth and development of connective tissue around the implant, so diseases such as systemic lupus erythematous, scleroderma, rheumatic, rheumatoid and other disease process makes it impossible to set implant;
- TB and its complications;
- Some diseases of the oral cavity: a chronic recurrent aphthous stomatitis, lupus erythematous, pemphigus, Jorgen’s syndrome, etc;
- Diabetes mellitus type I;
- Hypertonus masticatory muscles, bruxism.
Relative contraindications to dental implantation include:
- Lack of dental health (presence of carious teeth, for example);
- Poor oral hygiene (this item is a direct indication for removable prosthesis);
- Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums infectious and noninfectious nature);
- Marginal periodontitis (inflammation of the tissues surrounding the teeth);
- Pathological bite;
- Diseases of the temporomandibular joint (osteoarthritis);
- Atrophy or bone defect of the alveolar process;
- Smoking, alcoholism, drug addiction;
The general contraindications include:
- General surgical grounds for refusal from any interference.
- Contraindications to the anesthesia (eg , intolerance of anesthesia).
- Some somatic disease, which can affect implantation (eg, endocarditis and other heart diseases, rheumatism, etc.).
- Some treatments that may affect the healing and preservation of them after implant prosthetic implant to the surrounding tissue (eg , the use of immunosuppressants, anticoagulants, antidepressants, cytostatics and other substances).
- Diseases of the central nervous system (mental disorders).
- Distress syndrome (severe and prolonged stress caused by various reasons).
- Depletion of the body (cachexia).
- Poor oral hygiene (this item is a direct indication for removable prosthesis).
Local contraindications include:
- Lack of susceptibility to oral hygiene;
- Lack of available bone tissue or bone structure suitable;
- Adverse distance Nervus alveolar is inferior to the maxillary and nasal sinuses.
There are also contraindications of temporary character:
- acute illness;
- stage of rehabilitation and recovery;
- drug addiction;
- condition after irradiation (at least for year).
Thus contraindications for dental implantation have an impressive list, but only some of them make the treatment impossible. By the way, age is not an absolute contraindication, excluding dental implant, it just may limit the use of a particular type of implantation. In most cases, pre-treatment and treatment of the patient (both local and general) can successfully get rid of many contraindications or reduce their impact so that the prospect of successful dental implants.
Alpha Dent has worldwide distributors network. If you wish to set Alpha Dent implants please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be glad to recommend you the nearest clinic, in which you can set Alpha Dent implants.
High quality and lifetime warranty will provide you with a healthy smile for years to come!